It’s 7:15 and I’m sitting here infront of my computer in my dressing gown and slipper socks (a very attractive look). I never thought that I would actually be bothered to get up early to blog, but here I am – so committed! Well anyway, the point is this: HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I do not pretend to be American – I am 100% British and proud – but one of my best friends, Anna, is American and I thought that I would make her some buns. Unfortunately, a pumpkin pie was not possible: a because i had no pumpkin and b because I didn’t have enough time. So last night I came up with these gorgeously spiced buns, with a cream cheese icing. Enough of me wittering on. Go. Bake.
Cosy Thanksgiving Buns
Makes 20 fairy cakes/12 cupcakes
175g/6oz dark/light muscavado sugar
175g/6oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g/4oz cream cheese
300g/10oz icing sugar
2 tbsp dulce de leche + extra
about 1tsp each of ground cinnamon and ginger (depending on how spiced you like it)
zest of 1/2 orange OR 1/2 tsp orange extract
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Roll your sleeves up and get the mixing bowl out. Cream the butter and sugar like crazy until pale and combined.
2) Mix in the eggs and then bung in the flour with all the other ingredients. Stir it up until nicely mixed and BAM you got your sponge in a jiffy.
3) Fill the cake cases about 2/3 full and then bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Take out and cool.
4) For the icing, either with a handheld electric whisk or a paddle attachment on a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together. Add the icing bit by bit with the cinnamon, ginger, orange and dulce de leche. Try to restrain yourself from licking the whole bowl right there.
5) Spread the icing over the cakes and when finished, swirl some dulce de leche in the middle for that bit of pezazz.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, enjoy these cakes with friend and family. I must go now, as I have to get ready for school – toodle pip.